
If you tell them this shocking news, I believe that will put the cat among the pigeons.
如果你告诉他们这则可怕的新闻,我相信那将会闹得鸡飞狗跳。

Sporadic looting broke out across the city center, with gangs playing cat and mouse with the riot police.
市中心多处发生零星抢劫案件,犯罪分子与防暴警察玩起了猫捉老鼠的游戏。

I wanted it to be a surprise, but my sister let the cat out of the bag.
我想给大家来个惊奇,可我妹妹却先说漏了嘴。

She was like a cat on hot bricks before her driving test.
她考驾驶执照前十分紧张不安。

When the cat is away, the mice will play.
山中无老虎,猴子称大王。

Outside it was pitch dark and it was raining cats and dogs.
外面一团漆黑,大雨倾盆。

If the loan company gets its claws into you, you’ll still be paying off this debt when you’re 50.
要是落入了贷款公司的魔掌,那你到50岁的时候还在还债。

She clawed her way to the top of the corporate ladder through hard work and determination.
她通过努力和决心,艰难地攀登到了公司的最高层。

A new mining levy will claw back some of firms’ growing profits, supposedly to cover environmental and social costs.
对采矿业的高额利润也将课以新税,据以弥补环境和社会成本。

You haven’t put any money in the kitty for three weeks.
你已经3个星期不交公共储金了。

Advertising is a dog-eat-dog field.
广告是个争夺异常激烈的行业。

At present, his business is going to the dogs.
目前他的生意走下坡。

Don’t lose your hope. Every dog has his day.
不要灰心,每个人都有转运的一天。

The old lady was like a dog with two tails when her son and his wife came home from Australia with the grandchildren she’s never seen before.
看到儿子及儿媳带着从未见过面的小孙子们从澳大利亚回来时,老妇人欣喜若狂。

Yesterday I was sick as a dog with the flu. I stayed in bed all day.
昨天因为感冒我病的十分严重,整天都在床上躺着。

We should keep the tail from wagging the dog to deal with all the things.
我们在处理任何事情的时候都要记得顾全大局。

In a speech to the conference, Mr. Sandalow said that both sides continued to be dogged by suspicions of the others’ motives.
在大会发言中,Sandalow先生表示双方仍然由于在其他动机上的猜忌遭受挫折。

She was as quiet as a mouse. I didn’t even know she’d come in.
她不声不响,我一点儿也不知道她进来了。

Veterans can now download their electronic medical records with a click of the mouse.
有经验的网民,只要轻点鼠标,就可以下载到自己的就医记录电子档。

Come on, are you a man or a mouse?
勇敢点,别做怂包!

Given the tight economy, business people aren’t particularly interested in pouring more money into what looks like a sinking ship.
在经济紧缩的形势下,商界人士不再有特别的兴趣去向一艘看起来快要沉没的船砸钱了。

I had to get out of the rat race and take a look at the real world again.
我必须退出这种你争我夺的生活,重新看看真实的世界。

Didn’t you smell a rat when they agreed to sell you the goods at such a price?
当他们同意把那批货以那样的价格卖给你的时候,你难道没有感到有些可疑么?

Believe it or not! I got the information straight from the horse’s mouth!
信不信由你,我的消息非常可靠!

Taking the exam is one thing but passing it is a horse of a different color.
考试是一回事;考试及格又是另一回事。

You’re candidate is the dark horse in this election.
你们的候选人是这次选举中的一匹黑马。

Don’t put the cart before the horse in the process of getting the job done.
你在完成工作的过程中,不可本末倒置。

Son, we’ve been over this so many times. The answer is no. Don’t flog a dead horse!
儿子,这个问题我们已经讨论过很多次了。回答是“不能”。别老把时间浪费在没有希望的事情上。

We were more than eager to hop on the car and go for the picnic but the teacher asked us to hold our horses and check everything once again.
我们都急着上车去郊游,但是老师让我们不要急,再检查一下所带的东西。

We also hope that you will always “take the bull by the horns” when you run into difficult situations.
我们希望当你身处困境时,能始终“不畏艰险”。

She is like a bull in a china shop when it comes to dealing with people’s feelings.
涉及到处理感情的时候,她就显得很笨拙。

How will Stack know the new bull market has begun?
Stack是怎么知道新一轮牛市已经开始了呢?

You do realize that bringing your new girlfriend to your ex-wife’s house is like a red rag to a bull, right?
你怎么把新女友带到前妻家里,这不是找茬么?

You really hit the bull’s-eye with that answer, good job!
回答完全正确,干得漂亮!

Don’t have a cow: it is no big deal.
别发火,这没什么大不了的。

Action films are still this cinema’s cash cow.
动作片仍然是这家影院的摇钱树。

One thing you have to understand is that freedom of speech is one of the sacred cows of American culture and politics.
在美国的文化与政治中,言论自由是不容置喙的。

You can talk till the cows come home, but you’ll never persuade me to go with you!
你磨破嘴皮子也没有,我是不会跟你走的。

You can’t cow me into doing it. Those tricks don’t work on me.
我不吃你这一套,别想着让我做这些。

You need to beef up your skill set to become strong.
只有增强自身本领才能让你变得更加强大。

Did you hear that Daria’s best friend stole money from her bank account? What a snake in the grass.
你知道吗,Daria最要好的朋友居然偷了她银行账户里的钱!真实黄鼠狼给鸡拜年——没安好心!

A mighty river snakes through the region.
一条大河在这里蜿蜒流淌。

I didn’t have any friends there. I just always felt like a fish out of water.
我在那儿一个朋友都没有,感到浑身不自在。

I couldn’t attend the meeting, I had bigger fish to fry.
我没有出席会议,因为我有更重要的事要做。

The old man’s a real cold fish. I’ve never seen him laugh.
那个老头真是个冷冰冰的家伙,我就从来没见他笑过。

Since she was so popular and well-known within the walls of her small high school, Jennifer was used to being a big fish in a small pond. Once she started attending a large state university, however, she suddenly realized that it would take a lot more effort to make friends.
Jennifer在这所高中很受欢迎,她总觉得自己是校园之星。没想到进入大学之后,她发现自己只是个普通人,并不是什么天之骄子。

He has once again been stealing from the shop: a leopard cannot change its spots!
他又从店里偷东西了,真是狗改不了吃屎。

Theresa married a rich guy, but all she does is staying at home like a bird in a gilded cage.”
特蕾莎嫁给了一位富商,但婚后日日在家,犹如笼子里的金丝雀。